<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, July 03, 2010

posted by James - 4:01 AM


Just read an article by up-and-coming online and live poker player Randy "NaNoNoko" Lew. Go read it and get to following him and learning from him. His article inspired me to the following insight I posted as a response and now here for your perusal.

I struggle very similarly with poker in this regard. As mostly a tournament player, I don’t think I play nearly the volume I should. These feelings you describe are a big reason when I look back on it. When I’m not getting wins (no matter what my ROI looks like), I’m not pleased (even worse when I completely bust)… always feels like a kick to the jewels. Even though I realize that’s standard, and you can’t really tell anything about your results from one tournament, or one session, or a month of sessions, really… I tend to shut it down if I make a horrendous decision or get bit by variance, rather than make the adjustments and put in the work.

When I pick up that big win, or even just a small win that gives me any sense of accomplishment, I tend to similarly shy away from returning to the tables. Even though a tournament win is hardly a new event for me, I still get that sense of euphoria and endorphine high from winning or reaching a new high in my bankroll. Afterwards, I look back and wish I had played more (I don't believe in rushes, but I do highly believe in environmental factors in poker that can effect your results - the way you're playing, the opponents available, your body chemistry).

I realize how irrational both of these are... but usually only after the moments have passed. I've been playing for three years now, and I still haven't broken this feeling (even though I believe it is progress that I realize it happens). I don't like losing... and like losing what I've won even less.

Comments: Post a Comment