Thursday, September 02, 2004
posted by James - 2:52 PM
If you didn't know, today is my birthday. And yahoo was good enough to send me a list of "stuff" that happened on my birthday.
- 1945: On the deck of the USS Missouri, Japan surrendered, ending World War II. We kick ass!
- 1944: Future president George Herbert Walker Bush was shot down by Japan after a successful bombing run. He was the only member of his crew to survive. Why couldn't Japanese forces have caught him and castrated him or something?
- 1864: I'm sure Scott will get a kick out of this... Union General William Sherman occupied Atlanta. Much like Cubs fans did last October.
- 1945: Ho Chi Minh declared Vietnam independent...
- 1963: ...then died on the same day 18 years later.
- Other birthdays: Tennis great Jimmy Connors, Former Pittsburgh Steeler QB Terry Bradshaw, Former MLB Commish Peter Ueberroth, Salma Hayek, Keanu Reeves...
- Saving the best for last... 1901: Vice President Teddy Roosevelt gives his famous "Speak softly, and carry a big stick" speech.
If you have any other Sept. 2 tidbits, send them along. I love this kind of stuff.
I'm off to enjoy the rest of my birthday, which will be kinda hard to do since I just had my bike stolen this morning while buying myself a birthday present and I just found out some Cubs games this weekend might be postponed.