<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, June 18, 2004

posted by CHRIS - 8:17 PM


First and foremost, I want to extend my deepest sympathy to Utah Jazz Head Coach Jerry Sloan and his family. After a long struggle with breast cancer, his wife of 41 years past away this week. My heart goes out to Coach Sloan.

Now on to something a little more light hearted... This has been a great trip to Portland, so far.

First off, I won the karaoke contest I had entered and won $400. Not bad for a night of singing.

Second, I beat my dad at golf (98 to 104), while getting a great start to my summer tan. I told you I would forget the sunscreen. So, yes I am burnt to a crisp (Ed. note... Crisp. Bacon. LOL!!!)

Third, today was the first day of practice and qualifying for the Champ Car Grand Prix of Portland. Paul Tracy took the pole early in the qualifying session, but youngsters Sebastien Bourdais and Bruno Junqueira took that away from him shortly after being on the track.

Both Junqueira and Bourdais used a small amount of their allotted 15 qualifying laps. Junqueira also wins a bonus point helping him extend his lead in the Championship Points Standings. He now leads him teammate Bourdais by 2 points. This also guarantees Junqueira a spot in the first row for Sunday's race.

The heat and wind provided new challenges for some of the young teams with limited experience at the 1.969 mile long road course. The wind slowed the cars down coming down the back stretch as a headwind came whipping down the back straight away.

The sun also reeked havoc on the fans as a majority I saw were very sun burned (including me).

Well sports fans... that's about all I have for you today. I will write more tomorrow evening after the final qualifying session.

Comments: Post a Comment